With dad out of school I was free to take off with Uncle Jaybob to Texas. He had to road trip there to attend his Air Force training. We were sad to see him leave because we really enjoyed his monthly visits while he was in Idaho but at least his training coincided more or less with our leaving Utah. It was a fun road with just Jaybob and me. Gpa Cole knew that we were coming but Gma Cole did not. She thought Jaybob was coming a few days later and didn't know that I was coming at all. It was a fun surprise. While I was in Texas we got a call saying that Gma Dot was going downhill fast and if we wanted to see her we needed to come right away. We left the morning after we got to Flower Mound. We had a really nice visit with Gma Dot. She knew who we were and told me how much she loved "the little girls". She was upbeat and ready to go. She talked about how much she missed Gpa Chuck and Uncle John. A few weeks after that she went to sleep and didn't wake up. I'm glad that I was able to see her one last time.
Gma Dot was my favorite grandma. I loved visiting her house when I was a kid because she was always was kind to us and had A&W root beer floats. I remember when I was 12 and chose to wear a hideous shade of lipstick. A saleslady made some offhand remark about the color and Gma Dot made some comment about how it wasn't any of that lady's business what color my lipstick was as we left the store and she was instantly my hero. Since Gma Dot and Gpa Chuck moved to Texas we had been able to visit them pretty frequently. Eliza ate her first "solid food" at their house and Grandma talked all the time about how beautiful the girls all were. There were always little treats and homemade potato salad at their house while Grandpa was still alive. The last time we visited- during Spring Break- Grandma had commented that the girls were so well behaved, which was high praise indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment