Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Shoe Sheriff

Leona came home from school announcing that she was a shoe sheriff, which means that she has demonstrated that she can tie shoes and has been deputized to tie any loose laces in the class. I was a little bit skeptical at first.  I had shown her how to tie shoes at the beginning of November and had worked with her on it for about 15 minutes and then had been too busy to revisit the matter.  I asked her if she had simply told Mrs. Salmon that she could tie shoes or if she had had to actually tie a shoe for her as proof.  Leona told me that she had tied a shoe for Mrs. Salmon. Still skeptical, I asked Leona to tie a shoe for me, which she did with no problem. Apparently in the intervening weeks Leona had been honing her shoe tying skills by going downstairs and tying the laces on Collin and my shoes when she had free time. Leona had set her sights on getting her shoe sheriff certificate when we first visited her classroom back in September and worked with laser-like focus until she achieved her goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment